Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Conversation with Your Precinct 2207 Neighbor . . . Barbara Churchman

Though she is a lifelong Democrat, Barbara Churchman had never really taken an active role in politics. This year was different. "I became alarmed at the negative changes I’ve seen in our country during the last eight years and also about our future. That’s what prompted me to act." said Barbara, who works at The Turner Corporation as Executive Assistant to the Treasurer and is a Clinton alternate to the Democratic State Convention in June.

The daughter of a career Air Force professional, Barbara moved every two years, but claims Little Rock, Arkansas as home. Barbara first came to Dallas in the 1980s and worked full time while earning her Associates Degree from Mountain View College. In 1990, she left the area for an opportunity with the Seattle Metro, leaving DART. In 1996, she decided to attend Washington State University full time to finish her International Business degree, a long held ambition. "I personally credit Bill Clinton and his responsible economic stewardship for letting me do that. I don't think I'd be able to do that today," she says. In 2004, Barbara returned to the Dallas area and has lived in the Huntington Lakes community on Skillman for the last three plus years.

As an alternate to the Democratic State Convention in Austin, Barbara is determined to take in as many of the sights and proceedings that will be taking place during the convention. She also plans on making time for a bit of personal sightseeing. "I’m going down early so I can visit the Bob Bullock Museum and other places I’ve missed on previous visits," said Barbara.

As for this political cycle, Barbara says she is pumped up. "We've got great candidates across the board," she says. "I've followed Hillary's career from back in the days when I lived in Arkansas, and I know what she has done and can do. But we're really blessed with choice this year as Democrats. I think people are really going to be very surprised this November when the polls close in Texas. We're going to do better than people expect from top to bottom."

P.S. Barbara adds that she really is a "true blue Democrat" despite wearing red for this photograph.

No comments: